Friday, March 6, 2009

Goin' Stimulatin'

According to Obama and most liberal economists, the economy desperately needs consumers to spend more. So I'll be doing my patriotic duty by spending most of next week skiing in and around Park City, Utah. I'll feel good despite the devastation in the markets, because I'll be stimulating the economy as I enjoy myself. Following that I'll be traveling around Argentina seeing old friends and family. I'm hoping to see first-hand some of the destruction that President Cristina Kirchner and her ex-president husband have wrought with their highly interventionist and statist policies. There's a trend underway in the Americas, if you didn't know, that involves a sharp turn to the political left. President Chavez in Venezuela is well on his way to nationalizing the entire economy, and the Kirchners in Argentina are trying their best to follow in their friend Chavez's footsteps. And now the U.S. has Obama, who's trying to engineer the biggest expansion of the federal government since WW II.

I plan to keep blogging, but not so intensely. With any luck I'll find some amusing and different things to write about for the next several weeks. Failing that, I'll have my Bloomberg to keep me in touch with the real world.

12 comments:

Paul said...

Have a good time, Scott! Post some pics if you have time.

Cabodog said...

Enjoy yourself! You'll surely be missed around here.

I hope you experience some fantastic Utah powder -- I had the luck to ski a perfect Utah blue sky day with 18" of untracked powder from the day/night before and it was heaven.

I hear the steak dinners are great (and inexpensive) in Argentina.

ronrasch said...

Thank you for your interesting, clear, and original thinking. Hope you are able to spread a little capitalism in Argentina.

Eldon Mast said...

Have fun Scott,

I took the family last weekend to Winterpark, CO and am still stiff and sore.

Park City is my favorite place ever to ski. I have not been there for a while, but the last time, I was particularly fond of the nighttime ski options. (We don't have much of that here in CO)

If you run into any leftist guerrillas in asuncion paraguay on your way to Cordoba or buenos aires, tell them their/your good friend Eldon said to leave you alone.

I agree with Cabodog, try to go to an authentic Argentinian "BBQ" while you are there... you will have so many steak options (and any other meats) you won't know what to choose...)

Enjoy!

Enjoy!

Jon S. said...

Enjoy the slopes, Scott, while you can, since global warming will surely melt Park City before the end of this year .... or something ... I don't know, I think that's one of many Al Gore predictions ....

Seriously, have a great time! I agree with Paul -- post some pics if you get a chance.

WilliamSSmith said...

Please come back. We need you.

Slingblade9119 said...

Enjoy !

In a few months - I will visit another centrally controlled "utopia" Belarus

Scott Grannis said...

Thanks all for the encouragement. I'll keep posting things to the extent I have time. In Argentina they usually keep us up until 4-5 am every night with lots of conversation. We're hoping to spend a few days at the end of the trip at the Llao Llao Hotel in Bariloche, one of the top 10 hotels in the world.

Bob said...

Scott,

Enjoy yourself. Time spent with family and travel, to able to share personal expriences with those you love is the greatest of pleasures in my book.

I just hope there is a market left when you return ;(! Hey, was that a pun "market left" har har.

Bob

Louis Cyphre said...

Have a great time!

I would very much like to hear your impressions on Argentina when you are back.

PD Dennison said...

Enjoy your travels, Scott. I am looking forward to hearing about the situation in S. America, and what our future in N. America will look like!

Gene Prescott said...

FWIW, I agree with Rick's position. I elected to post his narratives because he has documented his research and analysis.