Tuesday, October 28, 2008

David vs Goliath (AAPL vs MSFT)

I've been a fan of Apple computers ever since 1987, when I bought my first Mac. I've used Macs and PCs almost every day since. I'm doing all of this on a Mac laptop that is also running (simultaneously) Windows XP, thanks to virtualization software from VMware Fusion. If you get a Mac you can do it all, you no longer have to choose one or the another. It's been fun to watch Apple catch up to Microsoft over the past five years. Microsoft can't figure out how to innovate, whereas Apple is King of the Hill when it comes to innovation. If current trends persist, and I think they should, we could see Apple surpass Microsoft's market cap within a few years. That would be one of the great David vs. Goliath stories of the modern age. It's also a good illustration of how free markets lead to creative destruction.

3 comments:

Martin Snider said...

AAPL will pass MSFT in market cap in less than a year. iCal it.

Scott Grannis said...

I'm betting lots of $ that you are right on this.

JAZZCRUSADER said...

...not so bad, Mr. Martin & Mr. Scott Grannis , )

AAPL today 252.7 Billion & MSFT 219.2 Billion (9/16/2010 4:00 PM)

Cheers from Düsseldorf/Germany!