Monday, June 8, 2009

Waiting for Apple

As we wait for Apple to announce new products and new software later this morning, I thought I would post this chart of AAPL. It's been quite a ride in the past five years, and I don't see any reason to think the good times are over. See my earlier posts recommending AAPL, and stay tuned.

UPDATE: For what it's worth, in my view the announcements today met almost all expectations, with one exception: there were rumors of a front-facing camera and video chat capabilities, but I thought that was a bit far-fetched, and I was right. Other than that, lots of good stuff: a new and improved OS X that costs very little to upgrade; a new iPhone 3GS that's coming out next week (earlier than expected); new iPhone 3.0 software coming out next week (free); new laptops that are better, cheaper and faster. The new iPhone looks like a must-have: much faster, longer battery life, better camera with video capabilities, compass. What started as a revolutionary cell phone has now become a powerful, handheld computer that will find its way into every facet of our lives. It's straight out of the science fiction literature.

Full disclosure: I am long AAPL at the time of this writing.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Scott,

What do you think of AT&T's decision not to extend the subsidized pricing to current iPhone users?

Scott Grannis said...

If you've had your iPhone for 18 months or so, then you do qualify for the subsidized price ($199 for the 16GB model). If bought a 3G iPhone then you have pay $399 for the new 16GB model. I don't think that is any different from the treatment you'd get with other carriers or other phones. And it's always possible to sell on eBay the 3G phone you got a year ago or less and recoup a good portion of the non-subsidized price.

What I would really like to see, however, is Apple selling the iPhone on carriers other than AT&T.