Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Economists to Obama: more government spending is NOT what we need



The Cato Institute has done the public a great service by taking out full-page ads in major newspapers with the names of hundreds of respected economists who strongly disagree with the need for a big government spending "stimulus" package. It appeared in today's New York Times, and is scheduled to appear in tomorrow’s Washington Post and later this week in the Los Angeles Times, Chicago Tribune, and Washington Times. You can read the full text with all the signers here. Cato has more on the subject here.

Let's get the word out—it's not too late to kill this monstrosity!

8 comments:

Spencer Janke said...

I really appreciate your comments. I agree whole heartedly. I will keep returning to see where you think we are headed..

Scott Grannis said...

Thanks, I hope to not disappoint.

Unknown said...

and where are you listed dad?

Public Library said...

I guess at this stage the question is what will a trillion dollar+ spending bonanza do to our economy over the next 2, 5, and 10 years?

The financial bailout and all of its calamity and a trillion dollar stimulus will surely put a massive dent into our futures?

Scott Grannis said...

Bernard: Whatever the damage that will flow from this stimulus plan if it is passed as is, I think the markets are braced for the worst. This is the thing that makes optimism easy despite all the gloom and doom out there.

Scott Grannis said...

Justine: I wasn't asked to sign, and I don't have a position or a title to lend credence to my name. I would certainly have signed if asked.

Anonymous said...

Great insight, Scott. Appreciate the analysis.

Sam
Westside Rentals

Scott Grannis said...

Thanks Sam